Getting Rage-y

Bound - Marina Anderson

In my review for Desire , the first part of this serial, I mentioned that I had some reservations regarding David. These concerns have increased with each paragraph I read in Bound

David is not only distant and emotionally manipulative, he's cold, demanding, a jerk, seems to have a weird double-standard, and is even kind of elitist. There's just not much there for me to like.

Early in the book Grace is talking about what it means to be 'nice' to someone you care about - caring about their feelings, making them feel loved and cherished. David responds with: "There are other ways of making a woman feel loved and cherished..." I don't disagree that there are many ways to make someone feel loved and cherished, but caring how your partner feels should be at the top of the list in any relationship.

I think my main problem with this is that the book is trying to act like it's BDSM - more about domination and submission than any other aspect, so far, and one of the most important things in that type of relationship is the trust and communication between partners. There's no communication here. Grace is thrown into situations, expected to react in a way that passes the 'trial' and the whole while with the ultimatum hanging over her head of if you don't pass, we're through.

The first trial: For one hour five people will take turns teasing her, attempting to bring her to climax (though only three actively participate) and "If you climax more than twice, then you will fail the trial." It's hard to gain that kind of control over your body - harder for some people than for others. One hour of people actively trying to make her climax and she's supposed to have instantaneous control? I was more than a little outraged. Especially when he brought up the whole 'you know what happens if you fail,' crap again.

Then there's the fact that the whole time Grace is going through this trial David is distant and aloof - she remarks on it more than once. What-the-ever-living-hell? You bring her here to do this, ostensibly to prove her love for you, and then you aren't even emotionally involved with her while you've turned her over to complete strangers to pass a test that you've demanded? Kick to the head - repeatedly.

Then there's the fact that women are apparently just objects - set dressings to be replaced as needed.

"She disobeyed and order last night and had to be punished for it. Amber has had problems with Laura before, but the twins [Laura & Amy] add something to the Dining Club. I hope we don't have to let them go." [said David]

"Did Amy cause a problem too?"

"Not that I know of, but aesthetically it would be the same to keep one of the girls. The Dining Club would have to train up another pair of twins if Laura doesn't improve."

(emphasis mine)

Are you *($*)@#*)@ kidding me??! I can't. I just can't.

The sexy times, meh. Just not that sexy to me. I don't know what the obsession is with squeezing the 'globes' of their breasts so hard it leaves marks, over and over and over again. Everyone does it. Actually squeezing at that level is pretty much done all over. I'll grant this is likely a personal preference thing for me, but it just doesn't work. When someone pressed hard on Grace's pubic bone, I cringed in sympathy. That hurts...

At this point, I'm sincerely hoping that Grace gets through the trials, dumps the asshole David and rides off into the sunset with Andrew.

With Andrew what you saw was what you got, and she liked what she saw. David didn't let you see very much, but she realized that was probably why she was so obsessed with him.

(emphasis mine)

Obsessed, not in love any longer, obsessed. Yup, I'm good with her dumping David and going with Andrew who actually seems to care and is kind and maybe just plain old nice.