Incredibly Fun!

Monster on the Hill - Rob Harrell

I have a special weakness for graphic novels, especially fantasy stories that look to play with conventions - and Monster on the Hill most definitely did.

Rob Harrell's penned an incredibly fun, quirky, and silly story about Rayburn - the monster that belongs to Stoker-on-Avon. I loved the whole subversion, right off the bat, that the monsters terrorize the town and the townsfolks LOVE it. They run and scream, and when it's all over, they are absolutely delighted. Unfortunately for Stoker-on-Avon, Rayburn has a bit of depression going on. He doesn't want to do much of anything, and his sighs and grumblings are bringing down the whole town.

When a disgraced doctor, and a plucky kid go to help him out of his funk, it's a surprise to all of them what they find along the way to getting Rayburn's monsterly abilities back! Friendship and adventure await them as they travel to visit an old school buddy of Rayburn's. I really enjoyed the interactions between Timothy, the Doctor and Rayburn. More than once I laughed out loud, chuckled to myself, and just grinned about something they'd done or said.

The story and dialogue tickled me with it's sly, dry, and slightly sarcastic humor; propelling me through the book. Though we're in the 1860s, there's plenty of anachronistic mentions that made some of the jokes even funnier. By the end of the journey, I was simply delighted to have been able to read this book. If you like silly, goofy, quirky and plain old fun - no matter your age - I'd definitely recommend this.