Heart-stopping, romantic, beautiful, game-changing

Archangel's Legion - Nalini Singh

Just when I think Nalini Singh can't possibly outdo herself, she proves me wrong. From the earliest pages in this book, until I turned the very last one, I was on the edge of my seat - unable to think of anything but needing to know what happened next.

I'm not even sure how to review this book without fan-girling, I loved it so much. I've read the whole thing twice now and done scenes even more.

This is the fourth full-length novel focusing on Raphael and Elena - and despite my thoughts that their story was pretty much told in Archangel's Consort, there's still plenty to explore as evidenced here. I've always loved the relationship dynamic between Elena and Raphael. There's such a huge power differential and, unlike a lot of books that will just gloss that over and make it seem like it's dealt with, Nalini Singh continues to actually deal with it. Raphael is a centuries old Archangel - one of the most powerful beings in the world - and Elena is a new-immortal, with only twenty-some years of life behind her. That alone will create a gulf that a lot of people might not be able to overcome. Yet, Raphael and Elena are continuously negotiating their boundaries...in a smart, intelligent, caring way - they talk about it. When something comes up that is going to press up against Elena, potentially leaving her in a very large power deficit, she finds the words to discuss it with Raphael and he listens. They may not always resolve it satisfactorily for them both right away, but they're always working towards that. That, right there, shows their love for each other so clearly to me.

The overarcing plot of the book, I'll admit, had me in tears more than once. The first scene with angels falling from the sky was heart-wrenching, the aftermath as much so. It's clear for most of the book that things are coming to a head; there are overt signs of war, and insidious signs of something else - something that's nearly stalking Raphael, and we're not quite sure what it is. It's a challenge for him, though, that's for sure - and again, it's Elena that helps keep him grounded, a little bit mortal, if you will. I was on the edge of my seat the entire book; I had to know what was going on. The last 100 or so pages are so intense that I stayed up until 2am just to finish; I immediately turned to the beginning and started again so I could take the journey a little more leisurely.

Also, we finally get to learn more about Naasir - and can I just say what he manages to do with just two other people in the climactic scene was amazing, and made me grin completely unexpectedly. Raphael's Seven, and Elena's friends play important roles in this novel, and as always I'm left wanting more. They're, each and every one, fantastic.

Archangel's Legion is a thrill ride of a novel, heart-wrenching, exciting, beautiful, romantic and absolutely game-changing. I was blown away, and I can not wait to see what's next!

Status Updates:

08/20 page 2   0.0% ""Damn"--she whistled--"I need to start thinking like a rich chick."
"I will be most amused to watch this transformation."

Heh! 6 comments
08/23 page 50   13.0% "Christ. Make me cry why don't you??" 8 comments
08/23 page 52   13.0% "A whisper of sound not long afterward told her Illium wasn't offended--he'd simply gone for stronger weaponry. "Guild Hunter." Words deadly and cool from the Archangel of New York. "You've hurt your wings."

Stubborn Ellie. <3"
08/23 page 58   15.0% "*fans self* Angry sex. Hot. Damn."
08/24 page 69   17.0% "Oh, I needed that little bit of good - I have a feeling there's going to be some bad coming..." 1 comment
08/24 page 129   33.0% ""Eternity would mean nothing without you. For no power on this earth would I trade my Elena." *sighs happily* I just love them." 6 comments
08/24 page 146   38.0% "OMG! Don't do this to me! I can't take the worry!!!"
08/24 page 204   53.0% "Oh man! The suspense might kill me! I need sleep and yet I don't want to stop. Decisions, decisions. I think I'll read another chapter..." 7 comments
08/25 page 207   53.0% ""I'm worried about you."
"There is no need."
"No offense, but it's hard to accept that when your skin is glowing and I'm about to turn into a freaking icicle!"

I don't know whether to laugh or bite my nails. I'm so damn worried!!"
08/25 page 221   57.0% "Illium arrived..., landing to grab a seat beside Aodhan. "Why are we sitting on a bridge presenting postcard shots to the tourists on that boat?" He asked, waving... "No one noticed us until you deliberately did a low flyby over that same boat," Aodhan pointed out. "Wave to the nice tourists, Sparkle. I promise it won't cause pestilence and firestorms." >_<29 comments
08/25 page 252   65.0% "3 comments
08/25 page 266   69.0% ""You have anyone who can back me up?" she asked Sara. "I'm at Central Park."
"Gimme a sec...Deacon's in the area with Slayer, and he has a crossbow. Why take a crossbow on the dog's walk, I hear you ask? Because my beloved does not know how to leave home without being armed to the teeth."

Haha! I needed that. This book's putting me through the wringer."
08/25 page 272   70.0% "Oh, shit. Not good. Not good at all."
08/25 page 274   71.0% "Finally! Just knowing is a relief." 7 comments
08/25 page 322   83.0% "So it begins, in truth. O_O"
08/25 page 341   88.0% "
08/25 page 351   91.0% "Man, can this book stop making me cry already?!?!"
08/25 page 353   91.0% "WHAT NOW?!?!????"
08/25 page 368   95.0% "*breathes a sigh of relief* Now for the epilogue - where hopefully I'll be able to breathe normally! >_<" 5 comments
08/25 marked as: read
10/10 marked as: currently-reading
10/11 page 1   0.0% "Starting again - maybe this time I'll be able to retain a coherent thought to write a review afterwards." 5 comments
10/11 page 12   3.0% "It felt like an eternity, but she would later find out the actual hell of what came to be known as the Falling lasted five short minutes.

This is the 3rd time I've read this and every.single.time it brings tears to my eyes."