2%, 5%, 6%, 8%, 14%

The Hunger Games - Suzanne  Collins

You can tell by the girls whisper about him when he walks by in school that they want him. It makes me jealous but not for the reason people would think. Good hunting partners are hard to find.

Katniss is so utterly practical and...I want to say realistic, but she really sees the worst in nearly everything. She has reason for that, but it's something I'd forgotten from my first read. This is part of why I love her. She's definitely not perfect, and she can be downright mean, she doesn't forgive easily and her pride is huge. But she's loyal and devoted and caring. Determined and doesn't give up either.

I'm feeling nauseous and so desperately hoping that it's not me, that it's not me, that it's not me...

...And it's not me.

Every. Damn. Time. I cry here. In the book, in the movie. All the time.

So instead of acknowledging applause, I stand there unmoving while they take part in the boldest form of dissent they can manage. Silence. Which says we do not agree. We do not condone. All of this is wrong.

...At first one, then another, then almost every member of the crowd touches the three middle fingers of their left hand to their lips and holds it out to me...It means thanks, it means admiration, it means good-bye to someone you love.

This doesn't help the tears. One of the things I always appreciated is that Katniss is sort of dealt with in the beginning, but by her actions here she becomes someone the people respect and care about.

To this day, I can never shake the connection between this boy, Peeta Mellark, and the bread that gave me hope, and the dandelion that reminded me that I was not doomed.

...Maybe if I had thanked him at some point, I'd be feeling less conflicted now. I thought about it a couple of times, but the opportunity never seemed to present itself. And now it never will. Because we're going to be thrown into an arena to fight to the death.

14%

"Well, what's this?" says Haymitch. "Did I actually get a pair of fighters this year?"

I actually love Haymitch more since the movie, but he's always been such a fabulous character.