[Reblog] Five Promises I will make to authors (whether they love me mostest or not)
1. I will respect your copyright.
2. I will legally obtain your book for the agreed upon price. (In some cases, that may be from a used bookstore or library loan).
3. I will not pirate, bootleg, upload or otherwise illegally distribute your book. (In fact, if I find a pirated copy on a torrent site I will go thru the hassle of reporting the infringement.)
4. I will never write a dishonest consumer product opinion for your book. (I cannot in good faith promise I will review everything I read or that I will read every book owned.)
5. I will respect the feelings of authors who feel a ( if non-attacking and within site guidelines) rating/review is bullying (or even gang-raping as some authors have said). I will not knowingly have any interactions with you or your books—despite how demeaning that self-centered viewpoint is to bully and rape victims and how much it undermines real bully and rape prevention efforts. I will do my best to make sure the book community knows that you equate ratings/reviews with bullying or even rape.
Be safe. If anyone needs help with a bullying issues, http://stopbullying.gov has links for U.S. by state. http://www.rainn.org/get-help offers help and links for rape and abuse issues. http://www.safehelpline.org/ is the a Department of Defense help line. Many sites also participate in Safe Harbor (or if not check their hosting service and they may Participate or have additional TOS that might be of help and even get the current website of your attacker shut down).